While I was busy…well, not blogging, it turns out the blog world carried on. (I know–I’m not sure how it functioned without me either!)
So I thought I’d share just a few of the posts that caught my eye while I was catching up on my Interweb browsing. This list is my no means comprehensive, nor was my “research.” It’s also not meant to be a list of all my favorite blogs, but rather more of a random handful of gems.
With that said, I hope you enjoy!
This is not just any sushi party, mind you. It’s a deconstructed sushi party, which (and I know this from watching multiple seasons of Top Chef) is a pretty big deal. Culinarily speaking.
However, considering Tom and I own a total of two chairs in our little abode, guests might have to eat on our floor. I’m thinking we could tell them that this is a traditional Asian way of eating? That sounds much better than, “Don’t worry, we just cleaned the floors last week!”
I’ll let you know how it pans out.
Yes, I’m aware that it’s practically February. But I ask you: Why should something as delicious as eggnog be relegated to a 2-month window? It’s one of life’s mysteries. With this recipe, it can be enjoyed year round.
In fact, I made this the other week (with the addition of a titch of vanilla) and it was very tasty indeed! I proceeded to ruin it by adding too much booze, but that’s another story. And also explains why this is still on my “to make” list.
Why should it be on yours? A.) It’s super easy to whip up; B.) The ingredients are plant-based and wholesome; and C.) It contains booze! Enough said.
3. If you’re over the whole festive holiday season thing (fair enough), Gena also makes a mean, green salad. Ever since she posted a recipe for a Green Monster Salad comprised of collards and spinach with avocado, sundried tomato, and broccoli, I’ve been craving it like it’s comfort food!
4. Jenna’s Vietnamese sandwich looks out of this world.
If you’ve never had a Vietnamese sandwich before, go get one now. Or sometime this week. Trust me, they are amazing. I’ve been meaning to create a vegan version of this miracle of a sandwich for a while. Then again, let’s be honest, I’ve been meaning to do a lot of things, like organize my closet, frame a painting I purchased two years ago, and send thank you notes for…nevermind. Needless to say, this is definitely on my list!
5. Lest we forget dessert, Chocolate-Covered Katie’s Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies are also on my list.
I think the reasons are self-explanatory but I’ll lay them out anyway: A.) Eating cookies for breakfast appeals to me; B.) Eating cookies, period, appeals to me; and C.) My sister tried them and told me they were delicious.
6. I’m also intrigued by the new Cappuccino Larabar flavor, which many bloggers seem to have tried.
If you’re reading, please consider sending me some of the new flavor for review on my blog. And also include some Larabar minis in the package because they’re very cute. I am good at blogging…and not blogging.
Kelsey @unmitigated grub
If you’re looking to go vegan or vegetarian–or just to cut back on meat in the New Year–there are so many great resources to help you begin your journey:
I, for one, can personally attest to the Peanut Mmmm Sauce. It’s truly like no other peanut sauce you’ve tried! Not only is it Tom-approved, but so versatile: This past week, I’ve enjoyed it atop grains + veggies, as salad dressing, and by the spoonful. Mama Pea has even more ideas for this sauce. It did not last long in our
household small apartment.
3. The wisdom of Mark Bittman, via the also wise Molly. This is another great resource on ways to incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet, complete with recipes. No meat, no dairy, no problem!
Speaking of Mark Bittman, here’s a very interesting read on why Americans are eating less meat. Who knew?
And while I’m on a Mark Bittman tangent (never a bad thing), if you missed this post, check it out! (Yep, I just linked to myself. Because I’m great.)
1. If you’re looking to laugh, I would recommend essentially every post by Mama Pea. I kind of wish I was a part of her family. (Adopt me!)
But that’s weird, right?
2. Check out this awesome video by the new-to-me Meghan the Veghan: Shit Meat Eaters Say to Vegans, featuring everything from the ubiquitous, “Where do you get your protein?” to the hilarious, “If I put a slab of meat, like, in your bed, you’d freak out, right?” Love it!
Meghan’s holiday party survival guide also made me laugh. (And, again, I am aware that the holiday season is over. Just let me enjoy my eggnog, dammit!)
3. Although not a blog post, Tina Fey’s Bossypants is also hilarious.
4. I also love Liz’s Workout for the Attention-Span-Challenged. Not only did it make me laugh, but it is very informative! As someone who does not currently belong to a gym (and has a living room!), I am excited to give this circuit training workout a try.
I could go on. I know I’ve only scratched the surface of all the fabulous recipes and posts out there.
But that’s where you come in!
What have you bookmarked lately? What new blogs have you discovered? What has made you crave something, think, laugh, or excited to exercise?
Include link(s) where possible!